It's here!!! Summer!!! Remember the excited anticipation we had when they opened the school doors and let us out for the summer? Dreams of bike rides, swimming at the lake or the pool, playing games outside and spending time with friends filled our imaginations as we left school on that final day of the year. Not much has changed, has it? Summer is still an exciting time to enjoy friends and family and all that the sunny outdoor world has to offer. Proper sun and skincare is vital to your enjoyment of the months outdoors but please don't forget that we need proper sun protection all year long. Even if you've never protected your skin, you can start right now with my 10 essentials for year 'round fun in the sun skin safety. Why ruin a good BBQ with the pain of sunburn, risking permanent skin damage and premature aging? Let's see what's in my beach bag for playing safe this summer.
A Makeup Primer With Sunscreen - After I apply ScarScreen, when I am going to wear makeup, I use Sente Daily Repair Complex. This has SPF30, protecting from both UVA and UVB rays. It glides effortlessly over the skin and the ingredients help to give a smoother skin appearance, decreasing the appearance of aging skin, lines and wrinkles. It has the faintest flesh tint which isn't noticible once the product is on but helps it to blend seemlessly into the skin. If you look at the ingredient list, you'll see it has dimethicone, which gives it the glide and smooth appearance. This is a GREAT option to wear to a beach or pool party when you'll be outside and want to look a little more polished than naked skin, but without pounds of makeup. I'm going to cover this brand more at length later and will link back when it's live. It's really an outstanding product. Sente is available for purchase on their website and you can check to see what doctors in your area might sell it.
3. A Natural Vegan Facial Sunscreen Alternative - Nature's Gate has a broad spectrum face sunscreen with an SPF of 25. You can purchase it at Whole Foods and many locations which carry natural products. This is a great option for the days you wouldn't want to wear a sunscreen primer, or for use on the kid's faces. Everyone needs SPF!!! Nature's Gate sunscreens are infused with botanicals and are responsibly formulated with effective ingredients for skin protection. And, it is cruelty free as well as free of fragrance, parabens, phthalates and oxybenzone. It is light weight, rapidly absorbed and I've worn it under makeup with no problem.
4. Sunscreen for the Body, (and Face) - Australian Gold is a good sunscreen brand to try. It is easy found at most mass merchants and has all the choices of SPF available. You can choose from oil, lotion and sprays as well. Australian Gold is a gluten free, paraben free, PABA free, dye free and alcohol free brand. It moisturizes with olive fruit oil, sunflower seed oil, cocoa seed butter and also has aloe vera to soothe and condition skin. It smells kind of fruity, which I really like. I tend to choose sunscreens that smell tropical, but I'm loving the scent of this one...I can't really explain it...it just smells fresh and good.
5. A Tropical Smelling All Over Sunscreen - I did just tell you that I generally will pick up a sunscreen that smells tropical like Sun Bum. One whiff and I'm in Hawaii at the beach. Sun Bum offers UVA and UVB protection. It is gluten free, paraben free, PABA free, oil free, 100% vegan, and hypoallergenic. It is enriched with Vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps neutralize free radicals. The Browning Lotion that you see at the right of the picture above isn't a sunscreen, but a browning accelerator that is applied over sunscreen. Sun Bum products come in lotions, sprays and sticks and are available at mass merchants.
6. Chopsaver Lip Sunscreen - ChopSaver was formulated by a musician to keep those chapped lips at bay. It is a citrus flavor and has arnica oil, a great healing agent. It has SPF15. When I was a kid, my lips would get burned in the summer when I was out playing softball. They've been really vulnerable since and I have to have a good SPF on them. Don't forget yours and your little one's lips, ears and noses....all areas that have thinner skin and are so vulnerable to the sun's rays. You can find this at CVS.
7. Nature's Gate Glow Lotion - I was never a self-tan fan until I tried this product. This is what you need when you protect your skin but you also want to have a tan or a glow. The Glow Lotion lightly tans skin and is buildable with multiple layers. It is cruelty free and made in the USA. Nature's Gate is sold at Whole Foods and other locations where natural products are carried.
In the past, when I've tried other self tanners, my skin felt wierd. It was like having a mask on it. I could feel it and I didn't like the feeling. Or the smell. Or the patchy way they wore off. It looked nasty and left me wishing I'd never applied it. I didn't have high hopes when I used this the first time. I have to tell you, I just couldn't believe it. It didn't feel like my skin was coated with anything. I got it on without streaking and it provided enough color so that I didn't look awkward in Phoenix in my summer clothes. I hesitated to go from pants to shorts because my legs were just didn't look like I lived here. One light application gave me the confidence I needed. And there wasn't any patchy peeling. I wasn't going for a really dark look, so I can't comment on that, I was just going for enough confidence to leave my jeans in the closet and wear my shorts. I'm completely sold on this product. I use it about once a week. Sometimes more. Totally love itl.
8. Sun Bum Browning Lotion - The picture is up above and if you've read this far, you read a little bit about it. It has coffee in it, as well as a few nice oils. I suspect the coffee kind of stains the skin, because when you put it on over your sunscreen, it looks brown. I know people who swear by this, so I'm including it in the list for you if you want a browner look to your protected sunkissed skin.
9. Face and Body Highlighters - One of the best ways to look more glowy is with highlighter. Shine up those spots where the sun hits and don't forget your collarbones and shoulders. Highlighting is still a very strong trend and can totally accentuate your features. It is your friend. The three I use the most are the Becca x Jaclyn Hill palette, the Kardashian Beauty Incandescent Lightbox in Aurora. and the Charlotte Tilbury Bar Of Gold, (pictured above). Run a brush down your forearm for added glow.
10. Sunglasses!! Don't forget your sunglasses, and I don't mean Snapchat filters like this but real sunglasses!!! Eyes are so delicate and can get severe sun damage. Kids need sunglasses, too. Especially when the sun is reflecting off water, sand or snow.
Be sun safe this summer. Remember that most of these items will be needed in winter, too, except for the Sun Bum Browning Lotion. Being sun safe is a year 'round committment. In the US alone, 1 out of 5 people will get sun cancer. If that's not enough to scare the sunscreen onto you, I don't know what is. We had a neighbor that died of skin cancer and I really don't want that to happen to any of you.
What are some of your favorite sun care products?